Skip to main content
This site requires the use of cookies as defined by our Terms and Conditions.  We have provided a detailed description of how cookies work and are used on the site.  To accept cookies, please click the "Accept Cookies" button.

How to Apply

Finding Vacancies

Our current vacancies are listed on this website and can be viewed by the type of role, e.g. Academic, campus location, full-time/part-time and if you wish to see all current vacancies, you can select the option to view them all.

How To Apply

If you are interested in a post, click the Apply Online button within the job advert and you’ll be asked to register and set up an account on the site (Why do I have to register?) or log into the account you’ve already created. Be sure to provide an email address you use regularly, because that’s how we’ll keep in touch with you about your application.

If you require the application form in an alternative format e.g. large print; audio etc. please contact :
Sunderland Campus HR Team on 0191 5152055
London Campus HR Team on 0207 5317333.  
All applications must be submitted online by the closing date.

After Closing Date

The selection panel will assess all applicants against the requirements of the Role Profile which includes the job description along with the essential and desirable criteria required for the job.  They will then notifty you of their decision.

Applying From Overseas

Here are the answers to some questions, which may arise when preparing to apply for a role at the University:               

  1. I am not a British/EEA national. Can I still apply for your advertised vacancies?

    Under the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006 the University of Sunderland is a licensed sponsor for Tier 2 applicants under the Points Based System (PBS).  Under the PBS a Tier 2 job applicant who wishes to work in the UK will need to show that they meet the requirements of the immigration rules and in particular that they have enough points to qualify under Tier 2.  Tier 2 is for skilled workers with a job offer to fill gaps in the UK labour force.  Points can be earned in different ways e.g. for qualification, earnings, attributes and competence in the English language.However, only certain vacancies are eligible for a CoS.  When applying if it is unlikely that permission to work would be granted by UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI). Non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as we would be unlikely, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test.
  2. I am not a British/EEA national but have permission to work in the UK for my current job. Can I still apply for any advertised vacancies? 

    You will need to refer to the terms of your visa as to whether the permission you have to work in the UK is transferable to another employer. Please see the UK Visa & immigration (UKVI) website for more information about working in the UK.

  3. I am a non British/EEA national student currently studying in the UK. Can I take up employment with University of Sunderland?

    Yes. However, if you are a Tier 4 visa student, in most cases the terms of your student visa prevents the University  from offering permanent or full time work. It may be possible for you to work 20 hours per week during term-time and full-time in vacation however you should check carefully the conditions under which your visa has been granted.  The maximum hours (paid and unpaid) apply to the University and any other work you may have.

  4. I am applying from outside of the UK. What will happen if I am invited for interview?

    If interview expenses are available for the post this will be indicated on the advert, where we do offer expenses we will reimburse reasonable expenses incurred for travel from the point of entry in the UK and accommodation.  Alternatively we may be able to arrange interviews Skype or video conferencing.
  5. Do you require confirmation of my visa status before an offer can be confirmed?

    Yes, an offer of employment is subject to original documents being provided which give evidence of eligibility to work in the UK.


         For the most up to date information please visit



Find Jobs


Forgotten Details